Parish Council Agendas and Minutes

Present:

Little Shelford Parish Council

DRAFT

Little Shelford Parish Council

Draft Minutes of Parish Council Meeting

Held on Monday 2

nd July 2018

 

Present: Andrew Hawthorn, David Martin, Brie Lury, David Jones, Sarah Penn

Ken Turner, Peter Fane (SCDC Cllr)

Parish Clerk: Penny Tanna Members of the public: 0

1. Apologies received : R. Patterson, D. Munro, K. Cuffley, R. Hickford, N.Sample

2. Declaration of interests received: None

No Public Session

3. To resolve the Minutes of the Parish meeting held on 21st May are an accurate record and be signed by

the Chair as such. (circulated prior to meeting)

Minute: Agreed by all as a correct record, signed & dated by the Chair

4. Matters arising(not covered elsewhere): None.

5. County Councillors’ Report: Cllrs absent – Written report, circulated to councillors & clerk to post on notice

board. DM requested further information regarding the Harston Bypass meeting and the options to reduce

traffic on the A10.

Cllr Fane informed the PC that Cllr Cuffley has serious health issues and so was unable to attend the

meeting. The Parish Council wished him a speedy recovery.

6. South Cambridgeshire District Councillors’ report:

Cllrs PF circulated a short report prior to the meeting. He commented that there was still no date for the

new Local Plans to come into force.

He note shops in Gt Shelford could be under threat because of reduced footfall owing to traffic and parking

difficulties. GSPC is looking at possible ways such as ticketing and permits to reduce long term parking in

the village.

7. Matters relating to the Pavilion, Wale Recreation Ground

a) Playground Project update – AH reported work had begun. The contractor has removed most of the old

equipment and is on schedule at present. The Zip wire location was finalised at the Pre-start meeting behind

the Chestnut tree grove. Some work has been carried out to remove nettles in the area.

Clerk reported that the contractor advised spraying selective weed killer on the nettles. Quotes have not

been obtained but estimates could be in the region of £300-£400

Minute: Given the need to treat the ground within weeks, members instructed the clerk to obtain quotes &

order the work to be carried out with a budget of up to £400.

b) Consideration of quotes for gate options and repair of fence posts.

A quote for the replacement of 5 rotten fence post & repair of fence totalling £308 was circulated prior to

the meeting.

Minute: Cllrs approve the expenditure and instruct the clerk proceed with the repairs.

Clerk reported new gates would need to be bespoke to match the existing gates. Self-closing gates suitable

for a playground would be costly. Standard size gates are in the region of £800 per gate. However the

DRAFT

existing gates could be adjusted with a rubber stop as suggested in the previous Rospa report in order to

comply with safety recommendations.

The Playground Action Group is to source the paint for the fencing. Volunteers will be sort to paint the

fence. There were some suggestions of possible volunteers. Cllr DJ to co-ordinate with SM.

Clerk noted the need for a risk assessment prior to any activity.

AH raised the matter of the new benches & picnic tables. There will not be sufficient funds to cover the cost

of these. There were suggestions of looking for people who would like to donate a commemorative bench in

honour of a loved one. Also the possibility of an auction event at the Fun Weekend was discussed.

Action: DJ to place a notice in the Parish Magazine.

Cllr BL noted the container has been removed from the Wale

Minute: LSPC thanked the Cricket Club and Ray Saich for arranging it’s removal

c) Update on the track lighting project and pavilion road sign

SCDC Planning Dept advised AH that the application should be for the minimum number of lights required

for safety. AH now has a Method Statement for tree management from OMC and will be submitting the

formal planning application within days. He stated it would be prudent to invite tenders prior to application

approval in order to get work completed in good time for winter.

Pavilion road sign: The clerk has had a response from Evan Laughlin the District Highways manager. The

sign will need to be funded by the PC. He will check if a brown tourist sign is permitted otherwise a site visit

is required to approve the sign format. Permission will be needed from Balfour Beatty to use the

lamppost.

KT noted the Wale entrance area was scruffy, overgrown and in need of attention.

Action: Clerk to ask M.M. if he could attend to it.

There followed more discussion on the nettles along the track, river path and down Bradmere Lane. It was

noted there was a strimmer at the Pavilion. DJ to liaise with the cricket club regarding the track.

Action: Cllrs decided to review the grass-cutting contract prior to next season (in October) to ensure that

periodic clearance of undergrowth was included in the contract so this problem does not recur.

8. Accounts (documents circulated prior to meeting)

a) To review the independent Auditors report. The report was considered by members. AH reported some

minor procedural errors relating to filing of minutes and election of chair. The auditor stated the Parish

Council should consider adopting standing orders to ensure it complies with legislation. Some cllrs were

unfamiliar with standing orders & required further information.

Action: Clerk to circulate model standing orders provided by Nalc prior to next meeting for further

discussion.

b) To receive account balances and authorise payments in accordance with the RFOs report

Current account 43294.49

Deposit account 34124.69

Pavilion account 2030.7

79449.88

Less unpresented cheques £2,487.27

-£2,487.27

Uncleared receipts 0 0

Net bank balances 76962.61

Bank reconciliation at 2nd July 2018

DRAFT

Payments to be presented for approval

Clerk -jun/jul 960.86

Paye 15.8

MM - Litter removal 128

CGM - grasscutting 439.57

Internal audit LGS 90

SCDC Election admin fee 135

G.Ives Ltd - allotment tap repairs 106.04

Nettle clearance - N.O. 180

OMC tree report for Track Lighting application 432

Total £2,487.27

Resolved: the account balances were receive and payments list duly authorised for payment

9. Roads, Traffic and Police report

- RP will be moving the mobile speed sign to Whittlesford Rd, near Courtyards. It was suggested that the

speeding data collected be published on the website.

- Update on the request for another set of steps on the Hauxton Road steep verge. PT has spoken to the

resident who has problems traversing the verge and would like a few steps (rather than a stairway). Clerk

still to visit the site.

Action: Cllr Hickford to be approached regarding any funding initiatives available for traffic schemes.

- Cllrs have received complaints received regarding cars parked on the High St dangerously close to the

junction with Church St.

Action: Clerk to write to households near the junction requesting they park considerately.

10. Allotments – nothing to report

11. Village Design Statement

The current draft of the Village Design Statement is considered too long by SCDC Planning Dept. Reducing

the current document to a 12 page synopsis is proving to be a challenge.

SCDC have won funding to work with a limited number of villages to develop design guidance that will

influence the design of future developments. DM and PF attended a meeting in June to learn about the

project. PCs can apply to join the initiative by filling in a simple form. Those approved will receive expertise

and not be charged the usual VDS submission processing fees. The VDS subcommittee were in favour of

participation. After some discussion, DM proposed the PC take the opportunity and apply to join the

process. If the PC is successful the work would be carried out between September and November.

Minute: Members approved the motion to apply for VDS funding. DM is to complete the application form

before the deadline and report at the next meeting.

12 . Planning report:

Recent applications :

- S/2329/18/TC – 6 Church St – Removal of diseased tree – no comment

DRAFT

13. General Village matters

- Arrangements for an LSPC stall at the Fun Weekend Saturday event. SP agreed to organise it and called for

volunteers to help man it. The stall will feature the Good Neighbours project with results of the survey and

possibly statistics from the mobile speed sign.

- LSEC Request for additional insurance cover for the Weekend. The clerk circulated the request and

costings prior to the meeting. Insurance cover costing £80.64 is wanted for an additional, volunteer run,

bouncy castle and to provide theft/damage cover for the PA equipment loaded from a resident.

Minute: Members approved the expenditure on additional insurance premium.

- Councillors walk report: DM & KT walked the village.

Reported items included –overgrown hedge at 2 N.Rd - Overgrown verges outside 35-43 H.Rd & in Moor

Close - 2 potholes in the road opposite 53 H.Rd - small dead tree in the rec & bench in need of repair -

graffiti on the wall of the Manor House - roses growing too high at the Church Rd junction. Overall the

general state of the village was very good. Action : Clerk to write to the relevant residents.

16.Clerks correspondence

- PT reminded all cllrs to complete the new Register of Interests form if they have not done so.

- A Highways Event application pertaining to the Shelford Fun Run has been received for comment before

approval. Members had no objection to the road closures planned. It was confirmed the Church had been

consulted beforehand.

17. Any other business:

- BL reported no changes to GS library funding or hours.

- An update on the status of the Wacky club is on the LS website. They are looking at the option to convert

the temporary building to a permanent structure.

- PF reported the Medical centre is definitely staying at the existing site, though still merging with Sawston

practise.

The meeting ended 9:20pm Next Parish Council Meeting: Monday 17th September 18

Signed __________________________________ Date _________________________

Chair, Little Shelford Parish Council


DRAFT

Little Shelford Parish Council

Minutes of Parish Council Meeting

Held on Monday 21st May 2018

 

Present: Andrew Hawthorn, David Martin, David Munro, Brie Lury, David Jones,

Ken Turner, Peter Fane & Nick Sample (SCDC Cllrs)

Parish Clerk: Penny Tanna Members of the public: 0

1. Election of Chairman & Vice-chairman

David Martin in the Chair invited the members to propose a new Chairman. It was proposed by BL and

seconded by DJ that Andrew Hawthorn should be Chairman. Agreed by all.

Minute: All councillors present signed the acceptance of office of councillor in the presence of the clerk.

Noted AH and SP signed prior to the meeting in the presence an officer of the council

Minute: Andrew Hawthorn accepted the Chairmanship & signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.

AH proposed Sarah Penn to be Vice-chairman, seconded by KT and agreed by all.

Minute: Sarah Penn to sign the Declaration of Acceptance of Office of Vice-Chair at the next meeting

AH offered a vote of thanks to David Martin. He thanked him for his chairmanship over the last 7 years. It is

a testament to his energy and leadership that so much was achieved during that time including a village

green and village sign, completion of the new Pavilion, the resurfacing of Garden Fields as well as the

creation and maintenance of the village website.

He then formally welcomed to the meeting the newly elected South Cambridgeshire District Councillors

Peter Fane and Nick Sample.

2. Apologies received : R. Patterson, D. Munro, S. Penn, K. Cuffley, R. Hickford.

3. Declaration of interests received: None

4. Allocation of Councillors’ responsibilities:

Agreed: that all Councillors would assume the following responsibilities:

Position/ group 2018/19

Chairman Andrew Hawthorn

Vice Chairman Sarah Penn (on acceptance)

Finance Andrew Hawthorn

Planning Brie Lury / Sarah Penn / Ken Turner

VDS David Martin / Andrew Hawthorn

Trees/Tree applications David Jones & David Munro

Pavilion trustees David Munro, Ken Turner, Sarah Penn

Wale Recreation Ground David Jones & David Munro

Playground project David Jones & David Munro & sub-committee

Transport (Roads/buses) Richard Patterson, David Jones, Andrew Hawthorn

Police liaison Sarah Penn

Village Hall Ken Turner

Phone box David Martin

Allotments Clerk

Church David Jones

Website/Newsletter David Martin

Entertainments Committee David Jones, David Munro, Brie Lury

Good Neighbour Project Richard Patterson & Brie Lury

GS Library Brie Lury

DRAFT

BL to check if Wacky Club & Rainbow need LSPC support to retain their presence at Gt & Lt Shelford School

5. To resolve the Minutes of the Parish meeting held on 19th March are an accurate record and be signed by

the Chair as such. (circulated prior to meeting)

Minute: Agreed by all as a correct record, signed & dated by the Chair

6. Matters arising (not covered elsewhere): Query as to whether the Village Hall accounts had been received.

DM confirmed a hard copy had been received & will circulate to cllrs.

7. County Councillors’ Report: Cllrs absent – no report.

8. South Cambridgeshire District Councillors’ report:

Cllrs PF & NS circulated a short report prior to the meeting. Cllr Fane gave thanks to the previous Cllrs

Charles Nightingale and Ben Shelton. He has worked closely with CN and admired his achievements in the

District Councils. They hope to build on these in the future but in their own style.

PF reported the District Council has now met the five-year housing land supply requirement which will help

curb opportunistic developers. He is working with GSPC on an affordable housing project using a local Rural

Exception Site. He would be keen to help LSPC in a similar way if there was interest.

9. To consider and approve the Annual Governance Statement 2017/18

The clerk circulated the Annual Return prior to meeting

Minute: Resolved to approve the specific answers given in Section 1 – The Annual Governance Statement

of the Annual Return for the Year Ended 31 March 2018. Signed by the Chair and Clerk.

10. Accounts (documents circulated prior to meeting)

a) To consider and approve the LSPC Financial statements for 2017-18

Minute: Resolved to approve the Financial Statements. Signed & dated by Chair.

b) To consider and approve the Annual Return Accounting Statements 2017-18

Figures were provided by the RFO and confirmed by Cllr AH. The bank reconciliation, explanation of

variances & cashbooks were circulated prior to meeting.

Minute: Resolved to approve the Accounting Statements. Annual return Section 2 signed and dated by the

Chair

c) To review the report from the internal auditor.

PT noted the audit had taken place on 15th May and a verbal report was given but the written report was

outstanding. The auditor raised minor procedural issues. He has signed the Annual Return.

Action: Internal auditors report to be reviewed in detail at the next meeting

d) To receive account balances and authorise payments in accordance with the RFOs report

Current account 45074.26

Deposit account 34107.68

Pavilion account 2030.7

81212.64

Less unpresented cheques 0

0

Uncleared receipts 0 0

Net bank balances 81212.64

Bank reconciliation at 21 May 2018

DRAFT

Payments to be presented for approval

Clerk - Apr/May 960.86

Clerks expenses 18

MM - Litter removal 172

CGM - grasscutting 135.02

Capalc membership 269.64

Cambridge water 16.2

SSE - phone box electricity 2.64

C.C.C. - street lighting energy 16-17 156.66

SLCC membership 100

Total £1,831.02

Resolved: the account balances were receive and payments list duly authorised for payment

e) To consider and approve the annual Risk Assessment

A draft of the risk assessment, circulated prior to meeting, was discussed.

Minute: Council resolved to accept the Risk Assessment.

11.Roads, Traffic and Police report

Report postponed to next meeting.

PT reported receiving a request for another set of steps on the Hauxton Road steep verge.

Action – PT to contact resident for further information & site visit.

RP has requested renewal of white lines on the Church St/Bridge Ln/ Whittlesford Rd junction from HA.

9. Matters relating to the Pavilion, Wale Recreation Ground

a) Playground Project status – AH reported the contract has been placed with HAGS with a completion date

of 20th August. A pre-start site meeting has been booked. There are concerns regarding the exact location

of the Zip wire to be resolved at that meeting. Rough ground will need to be cleared and some trees

pruned. It is not budgeted but there is a small buffer amount which could be used if needed.

DJ noted all users of the grounds should be notified well in advance of the works commencing

Action: Clerk to ascertain if trees have will require planning approval.

b) Update on the track lighting project and pavilion road sign

AH had a pre-planning appointment with SCDC onsite. He is awaiting the report but will need assistance in

the application process. Cllr BL offered to help and to contact the architect responsible for GS Rec.

lighting.

Clerk reported she has not heard from Highways officer regarding the sign request.

AH noted the grass seemed to be recovering. DJ will action a new Wale sign.

Action: Clerk to contact cricket club for an update on the container.

12. Allotments

Clerk requested permission to let a large overgrown plot to a Sawston resident. The plot has been vacant for

3 years and there are spare plots for local residents.

Minute: Members approved the letting, to be reviewed in 3 years.

Clerk has received a request to change the No trees policy on the tenancy agreement. After some discussion

it was decided to retain the tree policy.

DRAFT

14 . Planning report:

Recent applications :

- S/0792/18/FL – 44 Hauxton Rd – 2 storey front & rear extensions – no comment

- S/1272/18/LB – Manor House replacement of roof tiles – no comment.

15. General Village matters

- Invitation from LSEC for the PC to have a stall at the Saturday event. After some discussion it was agreed to

have a stall and to possibly feature the Good Neighbours project.

- Councillors walk report: AH walked the village. He noted the Navigator sign is very faded. The Winners

restaurant frontage is in a poor state. A hedge at Courtyards is obstructing the pavement.

The Bridge Ln notice board is deformed.

Action: Clerk to write to parties concerned. DJ to contact the Navigator management.

Cllrs KT & DM volunteer to carry out the next walk.

- Update on the Good Neighbours Scheme: they are organising a survey of the village to ascertain the

needs within the village. The questions are still being formulated.

- Annual village meeting matters arising. At the meeting the litter problem in Bradmere Lane was raised

despite the new litter bin. Clerk to place a notice in the picnic area. Also it was reported some deer heads

had been found in the lane. Clerk to investigate who this should be reported to if more are discovered.

The wood left in Bradmere Lane has been mostly removed with larger items still in situ.

Action: Site to be checked again at the next Cllrs walk.

16.Clerks correspondence

- PT asked all cllrs to complete the new Register of Interests form.

- General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) will come into force on 25th May 2018. The clerk has begun

implementing the guidelines. She has completed a data audit and is seeking Contact details consent from

Allotment holders, some suppliers and NHW co-ordinators. It would be good practice to adopt a Social

Media Policy and Document retention policy.

17. Any other business:

- The PC is short of one cllr. Members are asked to actively seek a new cllr. Co-option after an election does

not require the advertising period.

- Villager of the year to be revived at the next Fun Weekend.

- BL suggested the PC contributing more regularly to the village magazine

- A tree warden is being sort for the village.

The meeting ended 10:00pm Next Parish Council Meeting: Monday 2

nd July 18

Signed __________________________________ Date _________________________

Chair, Little Shelford Parish Council

SelectionFile type iconFile nameDescriptionSizeRevisionTimeUser
Ā
View
  11 Jul 2018, 08:47 David Martin
Ā
View
  11 Jun 2018, 05:46 David Martin
Ā
View
  26 Mar 2018, 12:47 David Martin
Ā
View
  23 Jan 2018, 05:44 David Martin
Ā
View
  6 Dec 2016, 03:30 David Martin
Ā
View
  30 Sep 2016, 03:40 David Martin
Ā
View
  30 Sep 2016, 03:40 David Martin
Ā
View
  13 May 2016, 05:35 David Martin
Ā
View
  13 May 2016, 05:37 David Martin
ċ

View
  25 Jan 2016, 11:35 David Martin
ċ

View
  25 Jan 2016, 11:32 David Martin
Ā
View
  30 Oct 2015, 08:12 David Martin
ċ

View
  26 Mar 2015, 13:18 David Martin
ċ

View
  20 May 2015, 06:11 David Martin
ċ

View
  17 Feb 2015, 03:29 David Martin
ċ

View
  4 Dec 2014, 01:05 David Martin
ċ

View
  3 Oct 2014, 05:17 David Martin
ċ

View
  3 Oct 2014, 05:15 David Martin
ċ

View
  2 Jun 2014, 01:16 David Martin
ċ

View
  29 May 2014, 03:25 David Martin
ċ

View
  29 May 2014, 03:10 David Martin
ċ

View
  31 Mar 2014, 04:15 David Martin
ċ

View
  31 Mar 2014, 04:18 David Martin
ċ

View
  31 Mar 2014, 04:21 David Martin
ċ

View
  5 Feb 2014, 03:48 David Martin
ċ

View
  12 Dec 2013, 14:36 David Martin
Ā
View
  6 Nov 2013, 02:37 David Martin
Ā
View
  6 Nov 2013, 02:33 David Martin
ċ

View
  14 Jul 2013, 06:32 David Martin
ċ

View
  28 May 2013, 05:29 David Martin
ċ

View
Reports from Village groups and societies are attached below  30 Apr 2013, 09:09 David Martin
ċ

View
  2 Apr 2013, 03:22 David Martin
ċ

View
  28 Jan 2013, 05:30 David Martin
ċ

View
  12 Dec 2012, 05:30 David Martin
ċ

View
  8 Oct 2012, 00:48 David Martin
ċ

View
064 Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting July 11 2012  16 Jul 2012, 12:38 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meteing May 2012  8 Jun 2012, 06:52 David Martin
ċ

View
Reports to the Little Shelford Annual Village meeting 2012  8 Jun 2012, 06:51 David Martin
ċ

View
Draft minutes of the Little Shelford Annual Village Meeting April 2012  8 Jun 2012, 06:50 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Annual Parish meeting April 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:45 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting March 2012  8 Jun 2012, 06:44 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting January 2012  8 Jun 2012, 06:42 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting November 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:40 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting September 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:39 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting July 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:38 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting May 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:29 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting March 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:25 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting January 2011  8 Jun 2012, 06:23 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting November 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:22 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting September 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:20 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting July 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:18 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting May 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:16 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting March 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:14 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting January 2010  8 Jun 2012, 06:13 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting November 2009  8 Jun 2012, 06:11 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting September 20 2009  8 Jun 2012, 06:10 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting July 2009  8 Jun 2012, 06:08 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting May 2009  8 Jun 2012, 06:07 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting March 2009  8 Jun 2012, 06:05 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Little Shelford Parish Council meeting January 2009  8 Jun 2012, 05:50 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting Nov 26 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:48 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting September 27 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:47 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting May 28 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:45 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Annual Village meeting April 24 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:43 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting March 23 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:41 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting Jan 23 2008  8 Jun 2012, 05:39 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting November 28 2007  8 Jun 2012, 05:37 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting July 20 2007  8 Jun 2012, 05:35 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting May 20 2007  8 Jun 2012, 05:33 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting April 20 2007  8 Jun 2012, 05:31 David Martin
ċ

View
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting March 20 2007  8 Jun 2012, 05:30 David Martin
Ċ
View
  29 May 2015, 08:05 David Martin
Ċ
View
  2 Jun 2017, 00:42 David Martin
Ċ
View
  2 Jun 2017, 00:42 David Martin
Ċ
View
  2 Jun 2017, 00:42 David Martin
Ċ
View
  2 Jun 2017, 00:42 David Martin